Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pitcha, It Makes A Refreshing First Course


Pitcha, it's what for dinner, at least, that is what the Bernsteins regularly ate some eighty years ago.  By all accounts, they loved it.  I made it for my father, and used the above recipe as a starting point.  He preferred adding at least a dozen cloves of garlic, and more salt.  That is how he remembered it.  The last time I made it for him, I showed it to him, and all he said was, "get me a spoon."  It has to be good for your hair and fingernails.  If you make it, be prepared for a "hoofy" smell in the house, though it isn't as bad as you might expect.

2 comments:

  1. I also made it for my Dad with the recipe provided by Rich. He also warned me to leave a window open as it was a bit "hoofy smelling". I gagged my way through the entire process. It was disgusting. I don't know how they ate it. It smelled like the entire herd was in my kitchen. I haven't eaten jello since.
    Love, Aileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..love ham hocks in split pea soup..Robert

    ReplyDelete