Thursday, June 15, 2017

Sydney, The Creative Side

Above, a photo of Sydney, my father, taking a photo.  Word on the street is, this may have been taken by his girlfriend, one Ruby?  Not sure.  In any case, I think it is a fantastic image, and a treasure for the family that loves him.  Looks to me like he is holding a Kodak box camera, perhaps the Brownie Target Six-20.  He looks calm and focused, with great hair and a handsome suit.  Looks to be about twenty years of age.

I have been fortunate to find some of the photos he took over the years, and some of those have been amazing, especially photos of people, which is a rare skill.  He had a good eye for composition.  Perhaps I will post some of those images at a later time.  In addition, my father certainly had a flair for design and a strong mechanical aptitude.  He designed elegant furniture for our house when we were growing up.  I recall him painting a canvas once, and I thought he was quite good.  He was passionate about the repair of things.  I thought he could fix anything and he approached these projects with confidence.  He seemed to intuitively follow the adage, that once your material needs are met, it is time to create.

1 comment:

  1. I have always loved this photo of him. Your description of him regarding his eye for design, his wonderful style and his need to repair things has touched my heart and while I never need reminding of how extraordinary a man he was, I'm grateful to you for posting this so his grandchildren will know.
    He also taught me many things about personal style when I was a very young woman. I wasn't allowed out without polished shoes, and a bag in very good condition. He said that it didn't matter how nice your dress was, if your shoes and bag were shabby it said everything about you. He wanted me to wear makeup. Hair done. A run in my stocking meant I wasn't leaving. He was a man of grace. To this day, I cannot leave the house unless I am put together.

    ReplyDelete