Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Our Back Pages

By way of information on the above image, I recently wrote the following to family members:

"Hello, All!

I have attached a note that Uncle Harry had written down for me some years ago.  According to Harry, our true family name was "Bronfamacher", and, if I am not mistaken, this is the preferred English spelling.  I had previously heard that the name was "Bronfman", and as I recall, Harry referred to that as some kind of shortened version, also valid.  The family name means "Whiskey Maker", and I am thinking that perhaps that is how the family fortune was made, because by all accounts they were wealthy and educated, a rarity for Jews in Czarist Russia

As I recall, Harry indicated that his father, Benjamin, was from Zinkov.  This name may be a shortened version of some longer Russian name.  Harry had tried to locate family members in recent years.  I think that the town may have been destroyed in WWII.  There were no records to search, which I think is common in Russia.  I believe that Benjamin was one of four sons.  A younger brother, Max, had emigrated to the USA, and the other two brothers stayed in Russia.  Their mother moved to the USA, and my Dad recalled going to her apartment after school.  My father always referred to her as a "real tootsie", and lit up at the thought of her.  Benjamin was a big fan of classical music and Enrico Caruso in particular.

Harry indicated that Fanny was from Poltava, perhaps from a village called Primachug, near the Dnieper River.  He mentioned once that she was a cigarette girl there, and ate a halvah sandwich at work every day.  The thought of this made him weep.

Well, they are all gone.  All we can do is hold on to the memories, and perhaps pass along some information and stories.

I hope all is well.

Love to all.

Cousin Richard"

No comments:

Post a Comment